Adopt A Rescue Pet Volunteer Speaks Out! We MUST save the Sanctuary!



Adopt A Rescue Pet
I have been asked why am I putting in so much time with the rescue and making sacrifices with my relationship, career and current studies.
I knew my heart is in it and I don't think I really understood the real reason why until a conversation I just had with someone new in helping ARP.
For me it started on trip to Petsmart and one ...of my dogs Venom jumped out of the window and ran to Cindy an ARP volunteer. He never ever ran or did that before. After speaking with her and saw how passionate she was I decided to volunteer. I was hesitant at first since in Ottawa, Ontario I used to take in the overload of dogs from the municipal shelter, and foster dogs. I was and still am devastated by the loss of Dolce.
Dolce was an amazing staffie/pit that warmed anyone’s heart. He was such a great dog that I felt he would be great for the family I adopted him to. To make a long story short; a year after the family adopted Dolce became intimidated and pressured by society and relatives due to the Bill 132 and chose to get rid of Dolce. The family went to the municipal shelter and within 28hrs he was killed. I was informed 2hrs to late. I would have never ever let that happen had I known. I was in tears and sad for many years even to this day. All of my friends and family were either sad for his loss or from my emotional attachment. Later speaking with the family they said “I had nowhere else to turn to, I couldn't find you and that was the only place to bring him".
Adopt A Rescue Pet allowed me to care again, build a thicker skin and have a better understanding in how to read a person and feel confident that my foster or rescue dog will be okay. I know we do not have a crystal ball to peer into the future or have physic capabilities to know that they are who they say, but there is extensive paper work and contracts, home verification and above all a microchip implanted into the dog so that if ever they are lost or abandoned at a municipal shelter ARP can rescue them again.
Above all I was able to foster and care for another adoptable dog again.
Adopt A Rescue Pet is more than a rescue with 354 dogs living on the sanctuary and awaiting a forever home. They re home dogs that were once deemed un-adoptable, dogs with disabilities and ones that are seniors. They help with re homing family pets that for one reason or another have to separate. The volunteers work around the clock to save homeless and lost dogs, and re rescue (if needed) the ones that have been adopted.
Thank you for supporting Adopt A Rescue Pet! Olivia Jean Murphy ~ ARP volunteer


Save the Sanctuary!